April 03, 2013
It's Time To Change Your Passwords
There have been a new round of brute force hacks going around trying to pry their way into accounts, so we are just about to increase our security again. This is a good time to talk about account security.
There are only 4 ways that someone can get into your account.
- You share it. If more than one person has access to your account then then chances of you losing the account are very high, even if it's your best friend, brother or sister. AQW accounts are free. They should just go make one.
- You give someone access. Maybe you saved your password at the cyber-cafe or library. Maybe you fell for some FREE ACs or FREE MEMBERSHIP site and entered your password when the fake site asked for it. Maybe you just have some brain disorder where you feel compelled to shout your passwords.
- You get a trojan or keylogger. It's not common but we've seen a few people make trainers or bots that will secretly install a small trojan on your system that will record your passwords (to AQW, e-mail, maybe even credit card numbers). It's one of the reasons we ask people not to bot.
- You have a rotten password and you get brute force hacked. This is the LEAST likely way to lose your account, currently but even so we are strengthening our counter measures. People can be pretty bad at making passwords and some hackers write programs that just try up to 1000 common passwords to see if they will work. Sometimes they do.
What is a GOOD Password?
It's pretty simple to make an unhackable password. Make it long (10 characters is good). Use numbers, letters AND special characters ([email protected]#$%^&*). Use some capital letters and some lower case letters. Avoid ANYTHING that has anything to do with whatever you're making a password for
Alina Note: Do NOT use these examples as YOUR password, because they are easy to steal! Make up your own like them, but different! :)
What is a BAD Password?
Here are examples of passwords to avoid.
- Ilove (your friends could easily hack you)
Alina Note: Do not use THESE examples as your password, because they are easier to steal! Make your passwords like the good examples in the previous section, but different! :)
What Else Can I do?
Avoid Scammers. Scammers are people who lie to you to try and get your information. They might threaten to hack you inf you don't give them your password (which is really stupid if you think about it). They might lie to you. They might say they will give you something like ACs or a Membership or they might say they want to trade.
Examples of scammers.
DougBigBoy1: Hey, I'm Artix. I'll make you a mod if you tell me your password
You: It says your name is "DougBigBoy1".
DougBigBoy1: Yeah, this is my secret Mod account.
You: XD You're an idiot. (report them)
LouisPhillipe1: Hello, I am the King of France. Want to trade accounts? I have Alpha Pirate.
You: (quick check on Wikipedia) France hasn't had a king since 1848. You're an idiot. (report them)
Remember that there are LOTS of scammers on FaceBook and Twitter too. Use THIS has a handy guide and remember that AE staff will NEVER ASK FOR YOUR PASSWORD.
You should also make sure that your AQW e-mail is up to date and registered with us. If something DOES happen to your account it will make it a LOT easier for Player Support to put things right for you.
I've Already Been Hacked! WHAT DO?! WHAT DO?!
The Player Support team exists to help you with any and all account and/or payment issues.