November 18, 2015
Reminder: Clear your cache
A Letter from Cemaros, Lead Bug Hunter for AQWorlds
Hihihi! Cemaros again. Just in case any of you forgot, I’m the AQW Lead Bug Hunter. Which means it’s my job to track down all the issues that annoy you the most and see what we can do about fixing them.
Your cache needs regular cleaning. SO dirty! Tsk. What would Grams say?
I’ve been tracing a rather annoying bug for several months. The one which refuses to give you items from quests you turn in. And after months of hair pulling, clawing, spitting and general mayhem, I have tracked it back to its source: it turns out to be a simple thing - it’s caused by a full cache.
"What's a full cache?" you ask? GOOD question!
A cache is a place on your computer where the browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari) keeps things you've downloaded in case they're needed again - like the logo on a website or information about your AQW character. That way, it doesn't need to be downloaded each time you visit the page; as long as the same logo is displayed, your computer already knows what to look for.
Caches have a limit of how big they can be. When a cache gets full, the items in it that haven't been used in a while are discarded to make room for whatever new items you're looking at now.
And it’s all transparent to you... until something breaks! (Like with this bug.) But that's when you need to "clear your cache."
Clear Your Cache!
The fact that this bug is caused by a full cache is both a good thing... and a bad thing.
It's good because it's easily preventable.
CLEAR YOUR CACHE REGULARLY.
It’s bad news because this isn’t something WE can fix... but YOU can by - say it with me -
CLEARING YOUR CACHE!
This is the single most common cause of the bug reports I read. This also causes more problems than I can count.
What kind of problems? Glad you asked!
- The quest didn’t give me the item!
- I can’t move right! (invisible walls, char goes where I didn’t click)
- The game menu won’t load!
- Maps are taking a long time to load!
- Error 1337! (If you’ve ever had this one, you REALLY need to clear your cache badly!)
- I can’t connect to the servers! (Okay so this is step one in a process, but it fixes it more often than not.)
If I could reach into everyone's computer and yank out all the bits and bytes clogging up your caches, I would do it in a heartbeat! But with these very specific bugs, the only way to fix them is to... CLEAR YOUR CACHE REGULARLY!
If you have any other issues, please remember to report them to the Bug Tracker! I send emails to the developers every week, and they fix as many as they have time for (starting with the highest priority issues first)!
Clearing your browser's cache gives you the latest version of the game
When we release BIG new features or fix important bugs, we want you to get the latest version of the game client, which means your browser's cache needs to be emptied of all its current files. Emptying your cache is called "clearing your cache." That lets it get all the new, most up-to-date files so your game works right.
- Click "Tools -> Delete Browsing History..." (or Ctrl + Shift + Del)
- Check only "Temporary Internet Files."
- Click "Delete."
- Restart Internet Explorer.
- Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History(drop down menu)
- Remember History > Remove individual cookies -> Select cookies -> Remove Cookie
- - Or Use custom settings for history -> Show Cookies -> Select cookies -> Remove Cookie
- Optionally Remove all cookies
- Restart Firefox.
Alternative method: Press down Ctrl+Shift+Delete to open up a browser settings menu.
- Click "Tools."
- Select "Delete Private Data..."
- Click the "Detailed Options" button.
- Uncheck everything except "Clear Entire Cache."
- Click "Delete," and restart.
- Safari -> Preferences -> Privacy -> Details
- Select site to remove cookies from -> Remove or Remove All
- Restart Safari
Safari 6.0.3 (Mac Mini)
- Located Develop option on Toolbar
- Click Develop
- Click Empty Caches on list (not the delete caches option)
Firefox for Mac
- Click "Firefox -> Preferences."
- Click "Advanced" and select the "Network" tab.
- Under the "Cashed Web Content" section, click "Clear Now."
- Restart Firefox.
Note: If you do not see your browser's version listed here, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade your browser. The latest browsers typically have more features and improved security.
Be sure to also restart your web browser. So the game page fully reloads, and not just the content files.
Thanks to the Archknights and Moderators on our forum for compiling and updating the guide!