April 09, 2013
Introducing Server Zoning
Testing New Server Functionality!
Late last year, we introduced the first phase of server changes to help make playing AQWorlds more enjoyable for everyone. Chatting with new friends and making plans to battle with them against epic boss monsters is one of the best parts of being a Hero on Lore... and now we're trying to make that event BETTER with server zoning!
Today we're introducing a server zone for players in the Phillippines! Anyone playing from the Philipines will be required to log into the Talim* server OR our Member servers (if you have an upgraded account). Anyone outside the Philippines can also join the Talim server to battle with your friends! Canned-chat players in the Phillippines will be able to log into the Talim server, as well.
* Talim means "blade" in Tagalog.
Why Have Zoned Servers?
There are a few different reasons game companies use server realms or zones:
- Some of our servers are WAY more crowded than others. This should help reduce server crowding in over-populated servers like Cysero and Twilly.
- Another goal is to help players in the same parts of the world share in-game as well as real world experiences and victories.
Will My Country Get Its Own Server?
This is a test of the server zoning system. We want to test this with a Filipino-zoned server to see whether this experiment should be expanded to zones for other countries. Although not every country will get its own server (as some countries have fewer AQW players than others.)
We've been watching everyone's reactions to the new server zoning experiment, and I want to address some of the questions that keep coming up.
- Server zoning is pretty common in many online games, though this is a new step for us to take.
- We are testing server zoning to see if it reduces a number of stresses on the team and our servers.
- We are tracking a lot of data which we'll use to review how effective the server zoning experiment is.
- If it is not as effective as we've theorized, then we'll review the idea and see what else can be done.
- Our main goal with the server zoning is to make as many players as possible SAFE and HAPPY.
We'll have more news in a few weeks, once we've had a chance to gather enough information.